Young and Full of Promise

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Hi Guys,

At the beginning of the summer I came across something quite special hiding in a old fishing harbor in Zeeland. Just my luck, it was for sale as the current owners(4 college buddies) were in over their heads with the level of devotion a boat like this needs and deserves.

So we bought it decided to sail it, as is, for the summer to learn her ways and figure out what underlying issues might exist. By the end of the summer, we had a long list of to-do's so we put the boat in the shed for a 6 month  refit. I had her weighed, rig and boom off but sails/cushions/misc. crap still on board and came out to 2440kgs. Lighter then what she was rated for(2876kgs.) but still to heavy. The complete mast(sparcraft) with standing and running rigging came to 111.5 kgs(fucking heavy) and the boom was 38 kgs.(also mind boggling).

So the work has started already with the stripping of all hardware. So far I have removed about 32kgs of deck hardware/fasteners(including winchs, hatches, etc.)  My aim is to put back less then half of that.

The rough list as follows:

New carbon rig in hybrid standard/high modulus(30kgs bare tube, with rigging weights to be confirmed)

New Carbon boom, already build but needs fit out(16kgs bare tube) E measurement shortened from 5.4 meters to 5.0

Updated winch package from lewmar, roughly half the weight of the old style harken winches

General deck hardware upgrade, jammers, cleats, blocks, etc.. mix of harken, karver and spinlock. 

Deck repair and reinforcement, there was some delam issues that I will address and then do a full deck re-paint and non skid.

Fold out foot rests (titanium tubing) for helmsman to replace giant fixed stainless steel ones that take up the entire cockpit

Interior, removal of several no structural items that are just heavy and pointless. Full repaint.

Electronics and intsruments/full tear out and replacement

Completely new bottom, needs to go back to carbon. Planning to use VC17m extra with Tar2 barrier

New gori folding prop if I have any money left and of course some new sails

I am planning to remove the genoa tracks, Should able to rock about 110% jib due to the massive spreader sweep. I will move the diagonals attachment point outboard next to the vertical chainplate.  I already added a longer bow sprit over the summer. Will refine the bearing system.

Anything else I should try and tick off?

image.png

rocket31.jpg

zapata sailing.jpg

Zapata02.jpeg

zapata mast.jpg

file1-6.jpeg

file-7.jpeg

file2-4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Why? when you have D in and the others out the passage to the bow it's easier. give it a spin!

BTW nice boat!!
Thanks guys!

I'm changing the chainplate location mostly for loading and some downstairs ergonomics. The D's attached just next to the coach roof and about 65% of the way forward from the V chainplate. There was a tie-rod arrangement below deck that transferred the load to the keel structure. It was all to heavy and took up usable space down below.

Other benefits are less compression on the rig at the spreader joint which means less laminate needed as well as the rigging loads themselves will come down. All the original rigging was -10 rod except for the cathedrals(masthead diagonals) which was -8. A lot of this can be refined.

The boat is just over 3.8 meters wide so I will find a way to get forward ;)  

You can see the chainplate locations below. 

image.png

image.png

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
There is supposedly some good photos in the thread here but I can't see them. Tried to create an account to view but they aren't accepting new members and my emails to the site have not been answered. 

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/16937-jim-young-rocket-31/

These boats are quite cool and have a pretty unique history. Looking forward to getting the Zapata back into true racing form. Was interested in the HP30 circuit in the UK but we are a touch over length. Could take a little off the transom...

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Getting transits and a bunch of other data like must bury, DWL referenced from keel step, etc..

Happy to say the boat seems very symmetrical P/S.  Nearly have all the deck hardware off and then back filling starts. And then my favorite thing ever, sanding!

file1-2.jpeg file-3.jpeg

image.png

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Deck is nearly cleared. Still find it a bit ridiculous how wide this boat is for only 9 meters long.

Also, I have a leftover melges 40 spreader(next to the level in the photo) that I want to mount vertically on center-line to run the aft lifelines through as well as provide a mounting point for the stern light, gps and VHF whip. Not sure yet how I will make the base..

file-4.jpeg

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
what is going rate for a carbon mast of 30 kg bare tube and the boom ?
No such thing as a going rate. I am a bit busy to chase quotes for you. Just email some mast makers with more info about your needs and you will get some numbers.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Started stripping the old bottom. Removed sunken section of the foredeck that was rotted out. Terrible idea to have sunken section that collects water and cannot drain, cored with Balsa(rest of deck seems to be foam) and sloppily mount a bow cleat. Will use this opportunity to re-do some of the bowsprit structure and then close up with a carbon/foam panel. Got the aft deck sanded back and started back filling with pro-set adv-276. Still lots more sanding to go but nice to get some of it going.

image.png

file6-2.jpeg

file4-3.jpeg

file7-2.jpeg

file3-3.jpeg

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Is this the Carbon Rocket built somewhere down past Plymouth in the UK,..... possibly two from moulds....there was an two articles, in after the other on four progressive 31 foot yacht designs .... if I recall .  Merfyn Owen's  Maverick . ...707......??  and the Young

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I've been piecing together the history but there are still a few blank spots. This is what I think I know(corrections happily received):

The Rocket 31 design was around in NZL/AUS before these versions were built. I guess at some point the idea was had to make a production run in the UK. Camp Freddy was launched as an all out racer with no interior and sailed as such. Viva Zapata was next and came with a Kiwi style family cruising interior(Simple, practical, nothing more then you need). These were built at Cygnus? or Signus? Marine/Boat Yard/ Shop?  Some years later another was built, unsure by who. It was for sale in the UK and the listing is still floating around with photos. Viva Zapata, now just Zapata was brought over to the Netherlands by a potato farmer turned marine surveyor. I believe he completed a large refit on the boat at that time which included adding the bowsprit tube and some other heavy additions. His work quality seemed up there, only that it was all to heavy for me(Stainless backing plates, handrails, other odds and ends)

I am re-doing a lot of this work but in a lighter and more practical(modern) fashion as well as making up for the years that this boat sat neglected and un-maintained. I've got to get cracking because we have wedding to attend on the Solent next summer that i'd promised we'd sail over for. Back to the fine art of dust making.