Young and Full of Promise

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
How are you going to get it out of there now?  Or is the plan to keep it parked in there a while longer?

Looks amazing by the way
We are planning to go out early next week. The boat will stop back in the paint shed for a couple of days to get the name/logos applied and then we splash. 

All the boats here are on dedicated cradles that get picked up by the trailer which has hydraulic lifts. Essentially a giant pallet jack that gets towed around by a tractor. 

These guys can shuffle boats around super quick. In 10 minutes they will have a gap cleared for me to get out and then will backfill my spot. 

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Splashing tomorrow. Missed the end of November launch window but only being a week late seems pretty good considering how this entire project has gone.

The boat will get weighed on the same potato truck scale in the same manner as when we hauled her 2 years ago. Really curious to know the delta.

We'll put her in the slings around 1030 and I can get the last antifoul on a small area under the bulb I couldn't reach in the cradle. I'm hoping to leave the harbour around 1300 since its a 4 hour motor and its gets dark early here. That's all assuming the boat doesn't immediately start taking on water or that the engine doesn't put up a fight. 

0F3121A9-EB33-4497-94BE-B5D6B07C0B88.jpeg

3C418A42-8D9B-4B24-8A18-CFEE1BDD1814.jpeg

4F437CF5-82E6-49DC-A82C-695E56A1BF5B.jpeg

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
Splashing tomorrow. Missed the end of November launch window but only being a week late seems pretty good considering how this entire project has gone.

The boat will get weighed on the same potato truck scale in the same manner as when we hauled her 2 years ago. Really curious to know the delta.

We'll put her in the slings around 1030 and I can get the last antifoul on a small area under the bulb I couldn't reach in the cradle. I'm hoping to leave the harbour around 1300 since its a 4 hour motor and its gets dark early here. That's all assuming the boat doesn't immediately start taking on water or that the engine doesn't put up a fight. 

View attachment 478046

View attachment 478047

View attachment 478048
What is a Kolohe,a ?

stealth

Singapore

View attachment 478046

View attachment 478047

View attachment 478048
Great to see the finished product and safe splashing.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
The name is indeed Kolohe and comes from Hawaii where I was born. It was a common boys name when I grew up and is used to describe someone as mischievous or as a light hearted trouble maker. It actually has a lot of meaning to our family. 

Some of the old guys around the wider SA group might remember Bamboo Opperman from the days of the pan-am clipper cup/Kenwood cup and in general the scene of Hawaiian offshore racing. His original Cal 40 that he campaigned was named Kolohe.

As his grandson, I owe a great deal to what he taught and provided to me as a kid and later as an adult. My wife and I felt that this was a fitting tribute to his memory and the best way to honor the legacy he left behind. 

tomorrow is the big day. It’s 4c and raining sideways currently. Hope it clears up by morning..

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
She floats and the engine runs!

Was a long day transiting the Westerschelde and then navigating the canals across the island of Walcheren 

IMG_0204.jpg

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
A REAL TRIBUTE TO YOU ...All the planning, efforts from all ...she/he  is in the water...Brilliant work

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
was lucky to have some help from my father in-law to bring Kolohe around. I was pretty paranoid about checking all the thru-hulls and engine vitals constantly so it was nice to have the extra hand  

The new gori propeller seems right. No weird vibrations and the rpm’s seemed right for the load. Also reversed well  

67764AC4-6865-44A5-9441-BA5F48483E91.jpeg

CF5A2A1F-71F9-44AE-9BBD-0958B34762FD.jpeg

4EFD40FF-F4DD-4352-8FE0-AD2AF858AFE6.jpeg

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
so yeah what’s next…

I now have the boat within spitting distance of home which means I can tackle the interior more efficiently with my time. The goal is to finish sanding/ minor remain filler work as at least get some 545 on everything.

Also need to change out the 12v panel and get some basics hooked up like the VHF and instruments.

In the meantime I need to get going on the mast. The tube has been sitting but now I just need to crack on and get some holes cut. The only thing I still need to make are the spreaders. Otherwise I should have all the parts.

Once I have the rig done I can get the rigging built as well as getting sails going…

Still a fair bit to do until we are sailing properly but it’s a big step having the boat in our backyard finally.

53A934D8-DC5D-4B39-9CC6-D41C862C4C9A.jpeg

(home sweet home)

C156918B-BDED-49A0-BB0D-147D33531817.jpeg

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
so yeah what’s next…

I now have the boat within spitting distance of home which means I can tackle the interior more efficiently with my time. The goal is to finish sanding/ minor remain filler work as at least get some 545 on everything.

Also need to change out the 12v panel and get some basics hooked up like the VHF and instruments.

In the meantime I need to get going on the mast. The tube has been sitting but now I just need to crack on and get some holes cut. The only thing I still need to make are the spreaders. Otherwise I should have all the parts.

Once I have the rig done I can get the rigging built as well as getting sails going…

Still a fair bit to do until we are sailing properly but it’s a big step having the boat in our backyard finally.

View attachment 478456

(home sweet home)

View attachment 478457
While you continue, how often are you going to have to dive on her?

Latest posts