Young and Full of Promise

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I heard a story once that old man Jim used to take different frozen fish and tow them behind his boat while monitoring the line load and general hydrodynamic behaviors. I can't remember exactly which fish it was that he supposedly liked the most but it was some species of tuna. He then cut cross sections of that fish to reference bulb shapes for his boats. 

Now I just always though of this story as one of the many "great myths and rumors" that float around our small world. But as i'm standing here scraping this keel clean, I can't help think this bulb looks exactly like an damn albacore! Hmm.. 

IMG_4025.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
VC17? is this going in a lake? I thought that stuff was only for fresh water, but maybe it's different up there in the 'Dams.

If it's going in the ocean, consider black widow if you can get it. It's been very durable for me over the past 3 seasons.

Cool boat, great work, can't wait to see more pics of it sailing.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
VC17? is this going in a lake? I thought that stuff was only for fresh water, but maybe it's different up there in the 'Dams.

If it's going in the ocean, consider black widow if you can get it. It's been very durable for me over the past 3 seasons.

Cool boat, great work, can't wait to see more pics of it sailing.
It says Extra in the name so must be good right?

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/antifouling/vc-17m-extra

But yeah its a bit of an experiment. I went with the VC17m extra because its a system I've worked with the most and had the best results with in the past. (there are other variations with the VC designation which have different purposes)

I'm new to this specific area so not a lot of personal experience on the general fouling situation. The locals are all a bit depressed since Holland changed the rules on what can be in the paint. I bought my cans in Hamburg, probably doesn't make a difference but it feels better which counts I guess. 

I will keep you posted next spring on how she goes.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Fiddling with the boom. Shortening the E measurement from 5.4 to 5.0m and pushing the sail area up in the effort to gain a straighter leach. The old boom hung over the transom so I am okay if the new one is just in line. 

image.png image.png

image.png

image.png

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Absolutely in love with my sanding equipment. Having done these jobs before with under powered/undersized machines really makes you appreciate a good setup. Im sure my neighbors aren't too keen on the dust cloud though...not to mention the massive junk pile that has accumulated underneath

IMG_4033.JPG IMG_4032.JPG

image.png

image.png

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Nice. Straighter leech with more control/less drag. Going with a fat head main?
Yeah twist control is everything and was seriously lacking for this boat. Shortening the E 400mm and pushing that area up should make a positive difference for uphill speed.

Working on a 2 mainsail program, inshore&offshore. Planning the go with the HS22 track system http://www.antal.it/eng/HS22-330_en 

Inshore main will have a bolt rope and offshore with sliders. Will probably build the offshore version first and see if I will actually need any more sail area. I am expecting the boat to float a bit higher next summer and I am curious how that will affect her initial hull form stability. 

Original pin head main measured in at 40m2 even.

Sail Plan 1.PNG

Sailplan 2.PNG

Ex Machina

Anarchist
New Zealand
Good one Ian mate . The rockets are all parked up in Auckland growing shit . Great to see you reviving zapata  , Hard case you found it in old Zeeland 

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Got the whole team in the shop, making progress on stripping back the bottom paint. Got half of the folding prop removed, the other half has stripped out allen heads which is proving a challenge..

Other then the normal boat work slog, we are trying to finalize the rig/laminate design so I know exactly how much carbon I need to order and pay for.  

IMG_4173.JPG

oioi

Super Anarchist
It says Extra in the name so must be good right?

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/antifouling/vc-17m-extra

But yeah its a bit of an experiment. I went with the VC17m extra because its a system I've worked with the most and had the best results with in the past. (there are other variations with the VC designation which have different purposes)

I'm new to this specific area so not a lot of personal experience on the general fouling situation. The locals are all a bit depressed since Holland changed the rules on what can be in the paint. I bought my cans in Hamburg, probably doesn't make a difference but it feels better which counts I guess. 

I will keep you posted next spring on how she goes.
I use vc17 in the uk north sea.   Full sand down and then apply in April. Lift out mid season,  light sand down and reapply with a single coat. 

Needs a good barrier coat,  eg vc tar. All old antifoul needs to be completely removed,  otherwise it reacts and doesn't take. 

Biggest problem is if you don't like it,  has to be completely removed before applying a different anti foul. 

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
Great thread Ian and looks like you are doing a serious refit. I always had a soft spot for the Rocket 31. I remember reading about Camp Freddie in old Irish sailing magazines. I remember seeing your boat advertised in Holland a good few years ago and I think I daydreamed about buying it and taking it offshore. 
The fat head main will be a nice mod. You may need to balance out headsail size as the older design had a very long boom. 
Seeing as you are putting her on a diet you should look at replacing blocks with thimbles, low friction rings, soft shackles, etc. 
looking forward to seeing the finished boat 

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
I remember Freddie from the east coast back in the day. Tormented the elderly Essex boys in their big fat cruising boat's when the breeze was up. Pretty well sailed that said.

Is this the boat that dropped it's rig on the way to Ireland for Cork one year? To be fair it was a pretty fresh trip if I remember correctly.

Great boat. Should be a fantastic ride when she's all prettied up.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Was a slow start to 2020 with some work and family obligations but cracking back into it with some good speed now. Still in the destructive stage of the process, sanding, cutting, stripping, etc.. Making lots of dust.

Got every single hole reamed and back filled. Nearly 2 full tubes of pro-set adv 275. I did get around to fixing some suspect de-lam areas i was finding over the summer. Ended up being just between to upper skin of the deck and the foam core. I just drilled 6mm holes around the area and filled up inside with holes abut 12 mm apart. Used the pro-set gun with the self mixing nozzle and just squeezed as hard as I could until the glue would start coming out another hole. Did this the whole way around these areas and now it all seems rock solid. Lets hope it lasts.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Also went and ripped out all the electricals that didn't seem crucial including all the old raymarine instrumentation. It seemed like all the previous owners would just keep adding their own stuff in without removing anything they replaced. Found a lot of dead ends and strange things. Anyways the boat is another 8+kgs. lighter now in that regard. Will put in a simple triton system with 2 displays for now and maybe down the road add a processor and some 10/10s on the mast. For now I just want to get the boat light and simple and can slowly bring on the complexity of systems as we figure out what we need.

Also if anyone wants 4 working ST60 diplays, 2 analog display, working MHU, speed sensor, other assorted/related stuff let me know. Happy to donate to a worthy cause. 

6EF67986-2234-43BF-B2BE-51A29DC8048B.JPG 83075EEC-F9F2-4F92-BE2D-B32C28DB59CE.JPG image.png

BCD2AE3D-33CC-486E-B6C9-188DDA0C2987.JPG

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Started beefing up the collar area. Intention is to get rid of needing any tie-rods for the halyard loads and to also fix some core/laminate damage in the area. Bogged on a piece of 25mm marine ply with west HD filler/chopped glass. Now that its set, I need to sand it all back and will laminate(lapped on the sides, fore/aft)  2 layers 400g carbon biax with 200g cloth over the top. And maybe also a light layer of glass as the final..

On the inside, will cut a 3mm c-plate backer which the bolts from the alloy deck collar will fasten through from the top essentially clamping the whole structure. 

Okay so I know this is not the lightest way to go. I've been losing sleep over the extra 1.5 kg. i'm adding using the plywood vs. 80kg divinycell that I have some 35mm sheets of. But I am certain the added structure here is key and will come into play with the new stiffer rig. 

Anyways I know it all looks a bit poo at the moment. It will look better after some rounds of sanding and laminate. Don't be too judgmental yet. 

IMG_4470.JPG IMG_4469.JPG IMG_4461.JPG

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Plugged up the old instrument holes. Need to get the dust suit back on and know back all the back filled holes. Should make the deck not look like a rorschach test.

Also finally found the depth transducer. Sounds silly but some asshole built the whole toilet structure over it using shitty plywood and 5200. End up ripping out the short fore/aft vertical wall and found several liters(liters=kgs.) of old poo water plus some unidentifiable solids. After vomiting in my dust mask, I hacked the transducer (5200 into the hull with no housing) out and let it all drain out into a garbage can under the boat. 

Will keep the teak and holly veneer toilet floor for now. Will leave it open underneath and just clean up the edge of the wood with a round over bit on the hand router. I'm removing all the layers of whatever that have been put down on the bilge/floor. Will just put down some grey Interdeck for now. Maybe next year we look at some Raptor deck options since my brother works there and can snag me a deal..

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I use vc17 in the uk north sea.   Full sand down and then apply in April. Lift out mid season,  light sand down and reapply with a single coat. 

Needs a good barrier coat,  eg vc tar. All old antifoul needs to be completely removed,  otherwise it reacts and doesn't take. 

Biggest problem is if you don't like it,  has to be completely removed before applying a different anti foul. 
I am starting to second guess myself about the bottom paint. Partly because its been a hell mission stripping the old bottom and i'm only 15% of the way through. I can't bear the thought of going through this again anytime soon if the VC Extra turns out to not be effective enough. I am leaning now towards International Ultra 300 since its still hard and can be burnished. 

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/antifouling/ultra-300