Young and Full of Promise

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I made the same exact setup on the runners... those Karvers are perfect for that.

Can't remember if you added a longer bowsprit or not.

Yeah I like the KBc blocks from Karver a lot. As light as a thimble and less friction. I'm using one as well for the 2:1 on the main halyard with a soft shackle.

The new bowsprit is quite a bit longer, the photos below were from fitting it when the boat was still in the shop a while back. I'm not sure yet how the bowsprit will play into our racing setup just yet though... 

0B155547-136C-4157-972F-83CA7BE8EEDC_1_105_c.jpeg

C7E3D22A-9D16-4285-8C6B-244FB0F3136B_1_105_c.jpeg

6358998B-E882-4670-B4DC-5422867C4A74_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

neuronz

Anarchist
europe
Yeah I like the KBc blocks from Karver a lot. As light as a thimble and less friction. I'm using one as well for the 2:1 on the main halyard with a soft shackle.

The new bowsprit is quite a bit longer, the photos below were from fitting it when the boat was still in the shop a while back. I'm not sure yet how the bowsprit will play into our racing setup just yet though...

View attachment 514262

View attachment 514264

View attachment 514265

Did you change the pole Exit or how did you manage to keep the sprit end in centerline with a longer pole?

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Did you change the pole Exit or how did you manage to keep the sprit end in centerline with a longer pole?
Funny thing was that he old sprit was running pretty much parallel but not actually on centerline. It's not original to the boat and believe it was added by the owner that first imported the boat from Guernsey to the Netherlands.

I have actually changed a fair bit when was easY to access during the very forward section of the bow deck being cut open. I also cut out most of the old tube from inside above the V-birth and sleeved with a new tube. I basically made the whole area stronger and probably removed about 4-5kgs of old glass and marine ply.

I've then made new bearings with the inner hole slightly offset to the outer diameter to give me a final bit of adjustment in place.

It was all a bit late getting done before the boat launched as it would have been idela to install this in the shed. I need a calm evening to get the laser out and all the bits in place.

allweather

baltic
Those are some very pretty splices! And the soft pad eyes aren‘t something I had seen for boom attachment points, but makes a lot of sense and is lighter unless I am mistaken?

Like the end plate on the boom, elastic for quicker access when something goes wrong inside or why did you go for that solution?
On that note, what‘s up with the red dynema leading into the boom from the main sheet blocks?

Honestly hadn‘t expected so many pictures and progress, so that is nice to see.

Oh, and what function does the sleeve for the wires in the mast serve? General protection against all kinds of things? Never really though about it, but seems sensible now to use as a light weight channel that takes on strain.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Looks like awesome progress.

Is it deck-stepped or is the bury just very short?
How does the boom strut not interface with the instrument bracket?

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Those are some very pretty splices! And the soft pad eyes aren‘t something I had seen for boom attachment points, but makes a lot of sense and is lighter unless I am mistaken?

Like the end plate on the boom, elastic for quicker access when something goes wrong inside or why did you go for that solution?
On that note, what‘s up with the red dynema leading into the boom from the main sheet blocks?

Honestly hadn‘t expected so many pictures and progress, so that is nice to see.

Oh, and what function does the sleeve for the wires in the mast serve? General protection against all kinds of things? Never really though about it, but seems sensible now to use as a light weight channel that takes on strain.

Thanks!

The glue on soft loop padeyes are for the lazy-jack attachments. I think I could have gone one size up but these were what I had floating around in the tool box. Definitely lighter than stainless steel padeyes though not nearly as robust. Time will tell.

For the cover plate on the end of the boom it was just a lot easier to glue in some carbon saddle padeyes with 5min plexus. The bungee does make it easier than fasteners for quick access but hoping that's not a feature I will ever need while sailing.

The kevlar cable sleeve/conduit in the mast is just to help take some strain off the cables as well as protect them from halyards chaffing on them. Its actually pretty typical for most mast to have something like this though older aluminium mast maybe have plastic tubing.

The black neoprene sock is just for the exit of the wires out of the bottom to make it all look a bit cleaner since it will be visual inside the boat.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Looks like awesome progress.

Is it deck-stepped or is the bury just very short?
How does the boom strut not interface with the instrument bracket?
It goes in fits and starts but occasionally I get lucky enough to string together a few solid hours in a row.

Its a keel stepped rig and the bury from collar to step is 1870mm. I think it just looks shorter because of the angle of the photos taken. I mean we don't exactly have vaulted ceilings down below but it looks more normal in person then probably how i've shown it.

This is the mast base plate as she currently sits covered in dust down below.
1656221075273.jpeg

The vang strut shouldn't have any issues clearing the instrument bracket as it attaches at the bottom of the toggle. Also the angle of the strut is quite shallow to keep the boom as low as reasonable. Based on my rough maths and a little physical checking, the boom would have to be something like 40deg above horizontal to hit the forward face of the bracket. The purchase system for the vang will be spliced to not let it go past this point.

I did keep the instrument bracket as big as possible for now as it's always easier to remove some material if needed down the road. I still yearn for some big fancy displays one day when I can justify the expense.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
That's what 30degs of spreader sweep and a 3.8 meter wide chainplate beam get you..

I'm genuinely excited to play around with all the tuning capabilities of this mast and rigging setup.

1656222036844.jpeg

1656222076203.jpeg

1656222110056.jpeg

1656222147675.jpeg

1656222177398.jpeg

1656222215995.jpeg

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
So to give a bit of a planning update, i've been able to secure a crane at a nearby marina to help with stepping. Tentative date penciled in is for last week of july. I've got the standing rigging material in stock finally and the custom stemball fittings are meant to arrive next week. Just need to build it.

The only big ticket item that will actually make or break this whole operation is the spreader bar. After having the design reviewed, it turned out we had some complacency issues with the fitment through the mast wall. The design is being re-worked by our primary trimmer who also happens to be a world class mast designer (and lives just down the road).

So at least I am in good hands and I do have a machine shop on standby to cut and bend the part when it's ready.

allweather

baltic
The kevlar cable sleeve/conduit in the mast is just to help take some strain off the cables as well as protect them from halyards chaffing on them. Its actually pretty typical for most mast to have something like this though older aluminium mast maybe have plastic tubing.
Mostly dealt with old aluminium masts as a user, seen some of the plastic conduits and it makes a lot of sense that things have developed there as well. Doesn't mean anything, but the kevlar cable also looks sleeker!

For the cover plate on the end of the boom it was just a lot easier to glue in some carbon saddle padeyes with 5min plexus.
That is simple then. Here is to hoping nothing does go wrong inside indeed...

About the progress being made on the mast, I still like how small the light is overall. Looks really good.