Young and Full of Promise

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
The pictures probably don't show it well but the deck was pretty bad and you could feel it through your shoes in some spots. Its really not that much work to fill and then knock down the surface with the longboard and some good paper. I've got the materials and place to get her done up proper so might as well go for it eh?

As for the interior... There's no floor boards so this is what you're standing on. It was very bad underneath the old vinyl they had stuck down. I won't go as crazy with the amount of sanding and filling as on the deck but it definitely needed a once over and possibly a twice over in a few spots. 

I'm not going to miss this part of the refit that's for sure

Ex Machina

Anarchist
New Zealand
Plenty of obsessive work going on. Amazing - but obsessive. Bogging the floor and where the deck non skid goes doesn't make sense to my "just get it finished" brain. 

Anyone know what sort of condition the PT is in up in New Caledonia? It's been a while since Aaron did her up.
Only party time , blue dude and young n frisky feature in results from up there but PT is there think it was renamed something else French ? 

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
She's pretty slick now. Just a couple small parts that need a touch up but otherwise coming through with the final coat of 545.  Was worth the effort even if my knees and back are feeling it.

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
So while I was waiting for some primer to kick I went below to start clearing out some excess weight. Started with removing the panel where all the electrics were mounted. Will replace with a lighter hinged version so it can be opened up for better access. 

Also got rid of the wall panel behind the head. It was a really useless storage setup. Will mount a small carbon tube horizontally to hang sheets, wet gear, etc.. More handy for our purposes.

I also went to town on the bow-sprit structure. Removed the aft most knee and shortened the fixed tube length. Also removed some material from the forward nee as well. These were built in inch and half marine ply and a heap of roving mat. Didn't have a scale with me but was hefty to remove from inside the boat. I filled a few low spots on the hull side and it just needs a once over with the random orbital then some paint.

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
So now the sprit can stick further out. I think we will need an attachment point further inboard from the  MH0-FR0 furler and will probably dead end the bobstay there. Or maybe sort out an internal retracting bobstay ...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Also started dicking around with the hatch sliders. Used some double side tape and got everything more or less located. The good news is that this aluminum profile works better then expected and should do just the trick. The only big issue I didn't fully realize until I started laying it all out is the sheer curve from the front of the coach roof continues (though exponentially decreasing) all the way to the back. So I can't just lay the track on quite as easily as I once hoped. 

So I think the trick is to shape some divinycell wedges(same width as track) running fore/aft that will keep it all straight and true. Of course it gets all laminated and faired it to look proper. Its a bit of a new job that wasn't originally on the list but this is quite a key area to get right so just going to have to get it done.

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Spent my lunch pause yesterday dumping out and sorting through all the old gear I stripped off the boat. Also started organizing the new deck hardware that will go back on like jammers, padeyes etc. Just trying to get an overview of whats in stock and what we still need.

Was good exercise as I found a brand new aqua signal bow light(green/red) in one of the old boxes that came with the boat. Was about to buy almost the exact same one online.

image.png

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
If you’re going to be redoing your pit layout, look at the new spin lock soft jammers because they seem both cheap, light, and useful. 

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
If you’re going to be redoing your pit layout, look at the new spin lock soft jammers because they seem both cheap, light, and useful. 
I've had some first hand experience with the XTX and wasn't super impressed. I think they have some purposes on some boats, but just not for me yet. Also I will be running some 6mm halyards so the sizing doesn't work so well.

I've got enough XTS's that I know I can abuse for years and will still do what they need to. I've got some mini XAS's that will side mount on deck for the runner gross tune. 

Misbehavin'

Denmark
I have just had a read of this thread, from the start to the end. What a good read, thank you. Fantastic job on the refit and awesome boat too!

Just to weigh in on bottom paint. When I bought my current boat 4 years ago, the first thing I did was sanding down the bottom, keel and rudder to the epoxy primer, and then doing some filling and sanding on the keel profile. Afterwards I put on a couple of layers of VCtar2 followed by VC17m Extra. I couldn't have been more happy in terms of choice on bottom paint. Easy to keep the hull clean if any algae growth and easy to re-apply, with a very smooth and slippery finish. Almost maintenance free, in my experience.

Been a bit full on this last month with starting a new job and the whole global pandemic thing. Its definitely thrown a wrench in our initial planning but luckily we still have full access to our boat and are able to keep working.

The bow area is nearly there now. Just a lot of fairing involved to match the deck curve and blend it all in like nothing was there.

View attachment 356150
I must say I was a bit confused about the pictures of the bow I was supposed to look at, because couldn't really piece the pictures together with the other pictures of your boat, until it dawned on me, that the bow of your boat was the triangle in the foreground of the pictures.

Keep up the good work, both in terms of the boat and the updates on this thread. Kudos to you.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I have just had a read of this thread, from the start to the end. What a good read, thank you. Fantastic job on the refit and awesome boat too!

Just to weigh in on bottom paint. When I bought my current boat 4 years ago, the first thing I did was sanding down the bottom, keel and rudder to the epoxy primer, and then doing some filling and sanding on the keel profile. Afterwards I put on a couple of layers of VCtar2 followed by VC17m Extra. I couldn't have been more happy in terms of choice on bottom paint. Easy to keep the hull clean if any algae growth and easy to re-apply, with a very smooth and slippery finish. Almost maintenance free, in my experience.

I must say I was a bit confused about the pictures of the bow I was supposed to look at, because couldn't really piece the pictures together with the other pictures of your boat, until it dawned on me, that the bow of your boat was the triangle in the foreground of the pictures.

Keep up the good work, both in terms of the boat and the updates on this thread. Kudos to you.
Thanks and thanks for your feedback on the VC. I ended up ordering some international ultra 2 in the end just because this is such a high fouling area with lots of oysters and other hard shell things. I still think the VC17m is a great product but I just need one season without oysters on the bottom to regain some of my sanity back. If I bring the boat up later for a season in the Baltic then I might switch..

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I was getting pretty frustrated laminating these. I was running low on tacky tap and breather, it was a stupid warm day in the shed so I was dripping sweat everywhere and the resin was giving me very little time to bag properly. Then my pump started smoking and losing pressure. 

Anyways I verbally abused it for a while and the pressure came back but the resin was already in b stage so it was pretty shitted at that point. Wasn't the most fun weekend on the boat and I decided to take a pause from this one and re think my approach. Will update later on this part.

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
So I decided to cut some more stuff out of the boat and gain back a little satisfaction from my effort. I think this one is pretty self explanatory.  

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

Misbehavin'

Denmark
Thanks and thanks for your feedback on the VC. I ended up ordering some international ultra 2 in the end just because this is such a high fouling area with lots of oysters and other hard shell things. I still think the VC17m is a great product but I just need one season without oysters on the bottom to regain some of my sanity back. If I bring the boat up later for a season in the Baltic then I might switch..
I forgot to add that I'm in Denmark, where the water is quite brackish. With VC17, I've never had any mussels, oysters or similar on my boat, though I've seen it on other boats.

Misbehavin'

Denmark
I had to look those up, never heard of them, but how awesomely cool are they? I like how you think. I would love some on my boat, but I only have through hulls for the cockpit drains, which are located under the cockpit floor, totally unaccessible.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I had to look those up, never heard of them, but how awesomely cool are they? I like how you think. I would love some on my boat, but I only have through hulls for the cockpit drains, which are located under the cockpit floor, totally unaccessible.
Yeah they are pretty sweet valves. I'm replacing 2 penetrations; 1 for the head discharge and one for the sink discharge/toilet flush inlet. This is how it was setup before and should be fine since its all very much a camping setup.

The original valves and fittings were a bit suspect from the first time we went to look at the boat. It would be nice not to sink the boat after all this work because of some shitty plumbing..

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Been busy, not a lot of photos to share but quite a bit going on in the interior with moving the fuel tank and batteries. The boat is moved over to another shed this week to get the underside soda blasted. Was able to get the price point to half of what was originally quoted just because they are low on work these days.. I did all the masking and plastic myslef as part of the arrangment and they handled the transport.

Got all the top side and non-skid paint in so no more waffling. Once the boat is back next week, I will start tenting the deck and preparing to spray. 

image.png IMG_5041.JPG IMG_5066.JPG