Your worst "SCREAMER" helmsman ever!

proOC

Anarchist
The owner I am thinking about has a beautiful Swan 40, sits in Chicago's beautiful DuSable Harbor. Besides being the skipper/screamer, he is the mastman, genoa trimmer, main trimmer, bowman, oops, I forgot he does not put a spinnaker up on that boat. What a waste...and he has been known to give a slap to the head...

Red Dragon

Super Anarchist
The worst I ever actually sailed with was the president of the college I attended. Old Gulf Coast sailors will know who I mean. He was pretty bad. I sailed with him once and let him know early on that the shouting wasn't making a positive difference. When I got off the boat I told him I wouldn't be back and why. I have never understood why anyone would put up with it unless they had no other option, and there are always other options.

RD

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
The owner I am thinking about has a beautiful Swan 40, sits in Chicago's beautiful DuSable Harbor. Besides being the skipper/screamer, he is the mastman, genoa trimmer, main trimmer, bowman, oops, I forgot he does not put a spinnaker up on that boat. What a waste...and he has been known to give a slap to the head...
Bit of a control freak, eh??? :lol:

coyote

Yeah I'll have to go with Butch also. Hell of a good guy though. The thing is, if he was yelling at you, you probably deserved it.

proOC

Anarchist
You could say that...the control freak part..

Last edited by a moderator:

morrisre

Super Anarchist
I'm thinking off a guy who isn't exactlly a screemer but does keep chiruping away ... constantly and in a very nervous manner ... and has been known to let go of the helm in order to lend a hand. He'd be ideal on the bow or in the pit. Everything would get sorted in short order becasue he's a very decent sailor. Actually he's not a bad helm either. Just too highly strung to be sat at the back waggling the rudder with a panoramic view of what everyone else is doing.

"Zen and the Meditative Art of Helming". It would have made an ideal Xmas present.

I race against a guy that has screamed at the crew during a singlehanded race.

When he has a full crew, I have been known to get the ball rolling by screaming at his crew across the water. That usually rattles him and gets my crew laughing.

Actually a really nice guy and a good friend. Just wound a little tight.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
One of my good mates in the Etchells fleet screams and pounds his fists on the deck. But never at the crew, only himself or the situation. A-type, competetive personalities often tend to be tightly wrapped and high strung.

seadog14

Mi
One of my good mates in the Etchells fleet screams and pounds his fists on the deck. But never at the crew, only himself or the situation. A-type, competetive personalities often tend to be tightly wrapped and high strung.
I raced with and against a great screamer... for 20+ years the nicest quietest and most gentlemanly sailor you can imagine, but when he got his own boat, the Jeckyl and Hyde syndrome came out... only when he is on his helm... everybody still loves him, but it is extreme... and like above, never really screaming directed at a person, but the situation, F---in' waves! Gxx DXXX wind...

One night on a race across Lake Michigan from Mi to Milwaukee Wisc, (70 Miles) imagine this... 180 -200 boats divided up the fleets start out 5 minutes apart, in fleets of 8-12. All night long the bigger faster boats are weaving in and out of the slower boats, as they progress across the lake. In the dark, you can only see silhouette's of boats near by, and Mast/stern/running lights of those further away. Boats fan our as much as 4 or 5 miles above and below the Rhumb line. So after a while, between passing and being passed, trying to maintain clean air, it becomes a challenge to track your competition.

We believed we were ahead of this particular boat, but not sure and were debating which boat was "them". One of our crew members was insisting they had passed up and were ahead of us, when suddenly out of the dark (and from behind) came a line of explatives X&!!?XXX, XXX'^&%$, to make even the most seasoned sailor blush... (wait we are seasoned sailors here...)

Anyway, the jig was up because we knew at that moment there was no confusion as to which lights were theirs.

Still love the guy, he's a close personal friend!

johnsmoke

Anarchist
Boston
i crewed for a guy on a forty footer who screamed so loud that he actullay messed up other peoples roundings, they thought it was their captian yelling at them. He's also big on the sarcasm " Guys can we at least pretend to be racing here" I stepped off the boat one day and vowed never to race with guy again . Off the water he's a nice guy and he wonders why he cant get steady crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I crewed on a C&C with a yeller. Mostly the boat was new to him, and he'd get nervous and yell, but the last straw was when he actually pushed one of the other crew because he felt he wasn't moving fast enough. The guy was pissed off enough he almost dove off the boat. and all this for wed. night beercan racing - like it was the AC or something. So this year, I'm racing my own boat. Rule 1 - know the course. Rule 2 - Have fun.

ABSOLUTELY LEGENDARY!

I know who you are talking about and was warned about him long ago by someone who sailed with us (and him) occasionally. I have an aversion to conflict so I won't eat his cookies!

stevedallas

Anarchist
the D
We still laugh at a well known Great Lakes sailmaker (probably a decade ago) who was on board our competition, yelling at the main trimmer at a mark rounding "if you can't trim the main, get the fuck down below." It just reinforced the notion that even to allow an asshole like that on board, their program was at least two steps behind ours.