YRALIS PHRF Weight limits -Point-Counterpoint

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
So in the interest of dispelling these notions that yacht racing on Long Island Sound is being administered by a bunch of deaf alcoholic blowhards hiding behind thick oak doors on the fourth floor of NYYC, would like to propose a little Point-Counterpoint article to be published in the YRALIS Race Program for 2015-the chair of the PHRF committee has agreed to present the reasons for the PHRF weight credit/debit system and I need someone to present the arguments for the abolition of same. Let us hear the voice of the people! Interested? Let me know, going to press in about 6 weeks or so.....

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
LIS is generally light air, correct? Is crew size an issue there? If so, perhaps an out of the box solution like basing entry fees on # of crew is feasible? That also might spur more smaller and double-handed entries, if that's desired. But. WTF do I know...I'm from Fla and PHRF has been dying here for years.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Women aren't allowed to use that staircase.

"... yacht racing on Long Island Sound is being administered by a bunch of deaf alcoholic blowhards hiding behind thick oak doors on the fourth floor of NYYC"

You say that like it is a bad thing.

Rando

NJ
Blowhards? Western Long island Sound? I would think that the PHRF boffins should be blow-gentlies not blowhards.

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Seriously though...a few of you had very good points to make in the manhasset thread (I think even no.6 had some intelligent points to make which was...erm, noteworthy :p ). Who's up?

If Snags volunteers is it ok to print an article in snagglese?

PaulK

Super Anarchist
If the goal is to get more people out racing, weight (crew) limits are an impediment. As mentioned above, LIS is largely light air. Having more crew is likely to be slower. If someone who has four sets of friends (couples) that they might like to invite out for a sail is limited to only having three by a racing rule - they're not going to race. Racers saying that that type of sailor isn't worth sailing against is sour grapes on their part. Somebody has to take up the back half of the fleet - it might as well be the overly heavy boats. As clubs all over are finding out, putting hurdles in the way of potential racers reduces the number of racers. Eventually there's no one left racing. Unless you can guarantee 25 knots of breeze, weight limits are a problem rather than a solution.

So in the interest of dispelling these notions that yacht racing on Long Island Sound is being administered by a bunch of deaf alcoholic blowhards hiding behind thick oak doors on the fourth floor of NYYC, would like to propose a little Point-Counterpoint article to be published in the YRALIS Race Program for 2015-the chair of the PHRF committee has agreed to present the reasons for the PHRF weight credit/debit system and I need someone to present the arguments for the abolition of same. Let us hear the voice of the people! Interested? Let me know, going to press in about 6 weeks or so.....
I wouldn't say they are deaf.

us7070

Super Anarchist
i race a lot on WLIS.., but pretty much never under PHRF

what WLIS events are either PHRF events, or have PHRF divisions?

How about a list?

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
i race a lot on WLIS.., but pretty much never under PHRF

what WLIS events are either PHRF events, or have PHRF divisions?

How about a list?
American YC - Spring Regatta
American YC - Spring Regatta
Larchmont YC – 60th Annual Distance Race - The Edlu
Seawanhaka Corinthian YC - Alfred Roosevelt Cup
New York AC – 106th Annual Distance Race - Stratford Shoal
Lloyd Harbor YC - “Race for the Case” Spring Series
Storm Trysail Club –70th Block Island Race
Lloyd Harbor YC – 49th Annual Lloyd's Trophy Race
121st Huntington YC - Annual Day Race
North Shore YC- 26th Annual Day Race1 Sunday Port Washington YC – Annual Day Race
EBYRA - City Island Cup
Halloween YC-29th Mayor’s Cup Race
City Island YC –79th Annual Distance Race
Riverside YC – 84th Annual Stratford Shoal Distance Race
117th Annual Larchmont Race Week
Lloyd Harbor YC – 43rd Annual Stratford Shoal Distance Race
117th Annual Larchmont Race Week
Sea Cliff YC Around Long Island Race 39th Annual
YRA Championship Regatta Riverside, Indian Harbor, American
Yacht Clubs
City Island YC – Women Skippers Race
City Island YC - 62nd Annual Day Race
Stamford YC – Overnight Race
Mt. Sinai Sailing Association– 34th American Cancer Society RegattaPage 2 of 7
Masthead Cove YC - The Masthead Race
Stamford YC – 81st Vineyard Race
Douglaston Yacht Squadron-Captain Island Race
Seawanhaka Corinthian YC – 90th Stratford Shoal Race
Lloyd Harbor YC – 47th Annual Katrina Cup
Centerport YC – 61st Annual Winkle Cup
Stamford YC, Stamford PS, Royal Danish YC –50th Valeur-Jensen
Stamford Denmark Race
Storm Trysail and Riverside Yacht Club Long Island Sound
Championship
American Yacht Club - Fall Regatta
Centerport YC-35th Wm. K. Vanderbilt Trophy
American Yacht Club- Fall Regatta
Lloyd Harbor YC Fall Series at Target Rock
Indian Harbor YC – 60th Annual Stratford Shoal race - “The
Gearbuster”
Manhasset Bay Fall Series – Spinnaker and Non-Spinnaker Classe

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
Those events listed above are the races that qualify for YRALIS seasonal trophies-there are a number of other races (take a look at the site (www.yralis.org) for the prelim schedule for 2015. Lots. So who's going to make the argument? Had a recent discussion with a guy who was sailing out west and he said, in the race that he was entered in, there's one rating number per boat . Doesn't matter what you use for sails, sprit, no sprit, masthead, frac, weight, toys, double-handed, solo, twenty extra guys --one number. want to change your rating? buy another boat. kind of a different philosophy.

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Those events listed above are the races that qualify for YRALIS seasonal trophies-there are a number of other races (take a look at the site (www.yralis.org) for the prelim schedule for 2015. Lots. So who's going to make the argument? Had a recent discussion with a guy who was sailing out west and he said, in the race that he was entered in, there's one rating number per boat . Doesn't matter what you use for sails, sprit, no sprit, masthead, frac, weight, toys, double-handed, solo, twenty extra guys --one number. want to change your rating? buy another boat. kind of a different philosophy.
Ok, I got this. I'll write it, since it seems everyone is skeeeeered :eek: draft by Friday.

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
U serious? after all that verbiage and ranting after Manhasset and you are the one to step up? just so typical-all the blowhards who want things to change-I give them a legitimate forum to make the case- a forum that the entire membership will take note of, not just the drooling pimplefaced geeks who spend their days on this site-and they clam up. you reap what you sow. B with a free Boat is a ready and willing crew member on PHRF boats but is not an owner and has never been through the process of going before the PHRF board with a request to review their respective boat's rating or been protested cause there were too many two hundred pounders on the rail. I would think someone who has a more vested interest in seeing things change would be chomping at the bit to present an argument to more than this audience.

left hook

Super Anarchist
Crew organization is a big one. Imagine BTBOTFA were to send out a request for crew on a Thursday night race for which he's rated for X. It's a particularly nice week and lots of people respond, way over the weight limit for how many he's allowed to race with. He enjoys sailing with all of them (with yours truly being the exception) and WANTS to bring them all along to have a good time. However if he were to do so he would be violating weight limit rules. Therefore, even though he wants them all to come along, he has to send out emails to a few telling them that they can't come.

Offshoot of this: as a crew if you are pushed away from racing because your boat would be overweight with you you would be less likely to throw out uour interest in the future because you expect you'll be booted as in the past.