Yrvind

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
Those Swedes...   there a story on his site about working with Dick Newick - his motto was - fast is fun - but Yrvind find out early that fast was the expensive part of sailing, and his aim became small cheap slow and safe... http://www.yrvind.com

At the tracker - hes done 17mi in last 24h .... 

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
He is no dullard and at that stage of ones life living the dream is fairy dust.

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
But one can question if its even possible to decide where to go on the ocean in that small slow boat.... and 300days - 79 years old.... 

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
The launch video for his latest boat said it basically doesn't go upwind (the previous boat had chine runners, but they were removed on this one).  Looking at his tracker he is stuck in a southerly and needs to go south a ways to get to the northerly that will push him towards NZ.

Hopefully when there is a favorable shift he'll at least have wind on the beam and be able to go in his intended direction at a more reasonable speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Ah, Yrvind.  Everyone on SA should read his latest manifesto (on his site, link in OP’s post). ‘Four Square Meters of Sail and One Oar” 

Starts with: “Many people misunderstand life. They think comfort is happiness, but unfortunately, that kind of happiness only works in the short term because, like drug abuse and instalment purchases, it burns energy intended for your future well-being. Those who enjoy effortless comfort are constantly deprived of energy. They lose strength, become lazier and fatter, have less good health and are more easily bored.”

Here: http://46.28.145.175/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ex_lex_eng.pdf

Or here: http://www.yrvind.com/exlex/

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
Oregon
His Bio is a good read (below).  Averaging 1.4 knots and headed for a favorable Northerly soon.  Go Yrvind!

"To get shelter from the weather I put up some tarpaulins between the apple trees. It did not take long before the city planner was there asking me if I had permission.

“I shall only build a small boat, then I take down the tarpaulins and go sailing” I answered.

“Have you been thinking about what would happen if everyone did like you?” He asked.

“What would happen if everyone was a town planner” I said.

That made him indignant. He forced me to take down the tarpaulins. In the evening when mother came home and heard about it she got mad.

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
Sven has given up his trip - is in Madeira now - some problem with the boat he has to do better...has been 40 days.

POSTED ONJULY 12, 2018

Yrvind explain his situation in a short video

Video made by Andreas Eidhagen

Share this:

Like this:

POSTED ONJULY 7, 2018

Sailing report 7

Yrvind is now on Porto Santo. He has decided to restart with a new boat. ExLex, which is basically an experiment, has some issues that must be solved. For example is the boat too heavy, which affects both speed and stability. There is a serious problem with the stering control that causes the rudder to lock. It is too cramped inside and it has not been possible to handle the sail from the front hatch as it was intended. All in all, this means that Yrvind decided to make an restart and design a new boat where these problems is corrected. Yrvind now needs to rest and comes when he feels ready with a status update here on the website.

WetSnail

"...decided to restart with a new boat..."

Couldn't have seen that one coming! /sarc off
If the only thing he wanted to do was to go cruising, he could have stuck with the boat he had 20 years ago.  But he likes to experiment, and experiments are what you do if you don't know for sure what is going to happen.  Seeing that you knew that in advance, well enough to be sarcastic now, you can probably explain what exactly made the boat unsuitable for its planned purpose.

G

Why am I not surprised? This appears to be his usual modus operandi;  get public interest in his lame projects, then head off to be either rescued or drop out to do it all over again. Hes an old scammer from way back.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Why am I not surprised? This appears to be his usual modus operandi;  get public interest in his lame projects, then head off to be either rescued or drop out to do it all over again. Hes an old scammer from way back.
[SIZE=14pt]Är han vänner med kaptan Rimas?[/SIZE]

Ah, Yrvind.  Everyone on SA should read his latest manifesto (on his site, link in OP’s post). ‘Four Square Meters of Sail and One Oar” 

Starts with: “Many people misunderstand life. They think comfort is happiness, but unfortunately, that kind of happiness only works in the short term because, like drug abuse and instalment purchases, it burns energy intended for your future well-being. Those who enjoy effortless comfort are constantly deprived of energy. They lose strength, become lazier and fatter, have less good health and are more easily bored.”

Here: http://46.28.145.175/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ex_lex_eng.pdf

Or here: http://www.yrvind.com/exlex/
Not many folks in life admit to only having one oar in the water...

- Stumbling

(yes, I know he likes to use a Yuloh for propulsion, I just could not help myself...)

Veeger

Super Anarchist
If the only thing he wanted to do was to go cruising, he could have stuck with the boat he had 20 years ago.  But he likes to experiment, and experiments are what you do if you don't know for sure what is going to happen.  Seeing that you knew that in advance, well enough to be sarcastic now, you can probably explain what exactly made the boat unsuitable for its planned purpose.
I've watched and admired the guy for many years.  Willing to go on adventures on a shoe string.  Self sufficient.  But for me, he's actually had enough experience with these type of boats to understand their limitations.  The first couple of times, okay, he's learning.  Now?  Not so much.  He's just stubbornly and deliberately trying to do something with a an approach that makes any voyage he undertakes into a simple 'drift your way'.  When you build a small, under canvassed, narrow, coffin-like box.... you 'know' it's not likely to be a high performer....

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
img_5094.jpg

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
I posted over on the Golden Globe thread on this but I was stuck somewhere without wifi and therefore managed to read his 95 page manifesto as it was already loaded on my tablet. There are some plausible and even good points in it but I cannot believe the lack of testing that led to this voyage coming to an end, particularly the rudders. I guess though, when you build and enhanced drift boat and need to start it away from shipping lanes as you have no maneuverability, you can't really just go for a sail around Sweden or something to see if everything works. I could use the terms "sad" or "ridiculous", but shall go for "unfortunate" instead.