"Zero Emissions" by 2035?!?

Sneaky Duck

Anarchist
Rochester, NY
Not a political post, but a legit question. With California and now NY mandating that all new vehicles be zero emissions by 2035, what options are there out there now, and what's likely the best choice for someone pulling a boat? Granted, I get that tech will change in the next 10 years and there may be options out there then that don't exist now, but this is kind of scary. My typical limit for a weekend regatta is 7 hours away. (making it so I can leave after work Friday night and make it home Sunday night and still have time to sleep). If Electric is the only option... that'll almost cut the distance in half that I can go in 7 hours. The Rivian truck will tow plenty of weight, but with a 7000lb trailer, the range is like 80 miles (likely much less through the mountains in PA). My star is like 2500lbs so i'd get better then 80 miles, but still, 30ish minutes to charge (if I can find a quick charger) every 130ish miles? That's going to add a TON of time to a weekend get away making it MUCH harder to get to the Chesapeake.

I'm sure other areas of the world have already passed rules similar to this. What do you use to tow boats if going any distance? Or do you just take longer to go places?

Sneaky Duck

Anarchist
Rochester, NY
No Joke! It's about to be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a 2nd boat and just leave it down there with a buddy. I'll keep his 2nd boat up here in trade. hahaha

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Don't worry about cars, worry about when this gets applied to boats, airplanes, tractors, and so on.
Also one would think a truck, having a big bed and weight capacity, could carry a couple extra batteries and go a long way maybe?

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
They can only mandate the sales in their states, buy it in a neighboring state. There will be a huge industry in getting around this mandate. Also this is just a way to force companies to figure out how to make battery cars work as well as gas does today. Milage standards forced better mileage from cars and the hope is this will as well. My son just bought a new full sized pickup with a V8 that gets better milage than his prior V6 that was 12 years old.

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
Don't worry about cars, worry about when this gets applied to boats, airplanes, tractors, and so on.
Also one would think a truck, having a big bed and weight capacity, could carry a couple extra batteries and go a long way maybe?
OTR transport can probably move to a system of switchable battery pack modules at truck stops. Basially pay a leaseing fee per mile on the battery pack and do a <5 minute switch at the swap station. Should be more efficient that transporting extra battery capacity around.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
OTR transport can probably move to a system of switchable battery pack modules at truck stops. Basially pay a leaseing fee per mile on the battery pack and do a <5 minute switch at the swap station. Should be more efficient that transporting extra battery capacity around.
The battery swap idea is actually a pretty good one or make a redneck hybrid and put a generator in the bed :LOL:

The Q

Super Anarchist
It's 2030 for the new diesel / petrol car sales ban in the UK..
Hence my old Landrover now has a galvanized chassis ,doors, bulkhead, stainless steel exhaust..
It will still be towing for someone else long after I'm gone...

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
There may be exemptions over a certain weight class. Find a used U-haul truck that can tow :)

For technical reasons airplanes and ships will be the last to change. I'd say "green/blue" fuels will be more likely. i.e. fuel made from alternative energy sources like wind/solar -> Hydrogen

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
It's 2030 for the new diesel / petrol car sales ban in the UK..
Hence my old Landrover now has a galvanized chassis ,doors, bulkhead, stainless steel exhaust..
It will still be towing for someone else long after I'm gone...

Yes I expect my diesel chugger to be going long past then. However I find it difficult to believe this date will stand. I am told by friends with electric cars that finding working charge points on long journeys is often a nightmare and there is no national plan I'm aware of to improve that. Also in the UK tens of millions live in houses with no off-street parking and there seems to be no systematic plan to provide them with the ability to charge.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Yes I expect my diesel chugger to be going long past then. However I find it difficult to believe this date will stand. I am told by friends with electric cars that finding working charge points on long journeys is often a nightmare and there is no national plan I'm aware of to improve that. Also in the UK tens of millions live in houses with no off-street parking and there seems to be no systematic plan to provide them with the ability to charge.
If you KNOW everyone will be buying electric cars, then it gets easier to raise money to install charging stations.
The street parking people are going to be an issue, we sometimes forget not all of us can park on our own property.

Canada
Serious response - not smartass. Why not just wait until you actually need to worry about it? As the legislations change industry will react accordingly and the options will look very different in a year, 3, 5, 10 years time. Worrying about this now is like wondering what your laptop options are going to be in 2035…

Perth WA
Presumably zero emissions includes the sourcing and refinement of all materials required for said green revolution, rare earths, lithium etc. then of course there’s the cancerous notion of growth of an economy, the planned obsolescence of all the “green devices”, the rapid phasing out of systems currently in operation. The expected loss of income tangibles and intangibles in the work force.
Not that I’m against a change in behaviour. How long should we as consumers expect things to last? If I can run my petrol driven car into the ground over 20 yrs or so, am I consuming more or producing more CO2 than If I were to buy a new electric vehicle every few years?
Though, probably I am more in favour of the mantra, Reduce, Reuse Recycle.
Whilst our world economy tells you to Consume, Be silent and Die.
I don’t need to be lectured by ignorant shits, whether it’s those elected officials or a performing seal (Greta Thunberg).

LB 15

Cunt
Serious response - not smartass. Why not just wait until you actually need to worry about it? As the legislations change industry will react accordingly and the options will look very different in a year, 3, 5, 10 years time. Worrying about this now is like wondering what your laptop options are going to be in 2035…
I was going to post the same thing- but as a smartarss. Who the fuck worries about shit that won’t happen for 13 years? I just hope my dick will still be working.

Canada
Not to sound sanctimonious, just contributing to the conversation - in our household, I’m getting as many more years out of the 2007 Subaru as I can while Big Mama is complaining that we don’t have a brand new, overpriced mobile phone on wheels to drive. If I need an appliance or “thing” I’m buying old school analog or upcycling donations whenever possible - old school domestic skilled labour using old school, high grade inputs. Even 70’s/80’s “made in Japan” products are high quality. Not spending a dollar on any new “smart” shit. I have an early 70’s toaster found in the recycling room that’s still way faster and hotter than the last 2 fancy stainless units we burned through. And I got two big screen tvs, a laptop, juicer, blender, dining set, multiple lamps, artwork, and bunch of other things there as well. If it’s a duplicate but better version of what we have already, then someone else will get my stuff. It all means less trips to the shops…

Meanwhile, Big Mama just can’t buy enough of the lastest, newest gadgets, electronics, vehicles, etc., and whatever other spontaneous purchases she can make. So, don’t know if we’ll eventually balance out 🙄

guest anarchist

I'm shocked that Newsom has mandated something as ludicrous as outlawing gas driven power. I wonder under what laws/power he has done this, let alone doing the math on CO2 Emissions? CO2 exists in 600 PPM in the atmosphere or at .06%. The US contributes 25% of CO2 emissions or .015%. Gas driven vehicles is responsible for 25% of this or .00375%, and California is responsible for 1% of the countries carbon emissions or eliminating .0000375 fucking percent of carbon emissions in the best-case scenario of zero emissions. Yeah right, leading the fight to reverse climate change. And we haven't even discussed the lack of infrastructure and burning of fossil fuels to produce electricity. I wouldn't change a thing, drive your gas car into the ground in civil protest, vote to elect a governor who is sound.

Latest posts