Zinc sunscreen recommendation.

vox

Zblok is good, Neutrogena Baby (zinc) is my go-to in a pinch when I need to find it in a regular store (in the US), but my new favorite is Raw Elements. Sure it sounds like hippy shit. It is hippy shit. But I like a few key things about it: 1) It's Zinc and it works on my uber-white complexion, 2) the beeswax base is great - I can put this stuff on when I'm soaking wet and it stays on, 3) it doesn't kill coral reefs supposedly. 

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
This stuff sticks like glue, works well, and is a zinc and titanium oxide formulation. 

59B627D0-FF73-4A3E-8666-684DFF9ABAB8.jpeg

Albany Botanica SPF 30. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Rated for 90 minutes in water, lasts all day. Fragrence free, non greasy. Least toxic (to you). Any spf over 30 doesn't  block more rays.

Last edited by a moderator:

silversailor

Believe it or not, Harken now has a division called Harken Derm.  There first product is a 50 spf sunscreen with zinc.  It is totally non-greasy and lasts forever.  Use a small amount and rub it in well.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Believe it or not, Harken now has a division called Harken Derm.  There first product is a 50 spf sunscreen with zinc.  It is totally non-greasy and lasts forever.  Use a small amount and rub it in well.
I was going to make a joke to this effect but looked up the price and I see it has been made for me. $39.50 for 3.4 fl oz. Good Christ that’s expensive!

https://www.harkenderm.com/shop/sun

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Re:rub in well. Wife’s dermatologist told her that ‘if you can’t see the product on the skin surface, it’s on too thin, ergo not working.’ So although you may end up looking a bit like The Joker, that’s how it should go on. 

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Zinc, beeswax, coconut oil.  

WORKS and doesn’t have nasty chemicals
Easy enough to make for yourself. Amazon carries powdered Zn oxide, and coconut oil is available in the grocery store. You want food grade coco oil. Blend in the Zn oxide until you get the consistency you like. Madame has made her own, and it does work. It is also tenacious; she has to scrub it off...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I've noticed an increasing number of racers wearing cloth sun protection over their necks, ears and lower faces this season. We refer to them as "boat burkhas" - not sure what the actual name is - but they look less goofy than the fully zinc'ed up jokerface guys. 

I get it that the sun is strong and UV is damaging, but sailors, farmers, linemen, construction workers and so on spend far longer in it than weekend warrior racers. Is it really necessary to go to more trouble than slapping on some 30 or so SPF waterproof sunscreen?

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Hat gaiters are counter-intuitive if you believe Mr. America's Cup take on headgear: 

"Conner will often wait to get a haircut, he wrote, until just before an important regatta. "This allows me to better feel the wind on the back of my neck," Conner wrote. "Sometimes I let my hair grow long before a really big series, then on race day, I'll have it cut short. This way I'm even more sensitive to the feel of the wind."

I'm puzzled by crew who wear baseball caps/wide brim hats, voluntarily limiting their vision aloft and insulating them from the feel of the breeze on their heads.

guerdon

Anarchist
This sounds off the wall, but diaper rash cream is zink oxide ointment.  It is cheaper than anything else.  I have used it for over 60 years and no problems.  The smell of it reminds me of fun times.

Latest posts